Tuesday, October 23, 2018

A Traders View SELWG, Sunday 21st October 2018

Here is my report on my experiences and games viewed at SELWG this year. This is the fifth SELWG I have attended as a trader and this has always been an enjoyable experience.

I originally chose to attend this show as a trader because I already attended Vapnartak, in York, in co operation with Shellhole Scenics and I wanted to attend a show in a different part of the Country.

SELWG offered a manageble distance to travel and was close to my in laws so they could look after my young daughter while my wife assisted at the stand.

This year, as usual, I was on the upper floor opposite the Bring and Buy. I felt the footfall peaked about 1pm and gradually fell after that, although I did get more customers revisit my stand for purchases after this time.

I also experienced more customers specifically visiting my stand actually seeking my stand out at the start of the show.

The SELWG staff were efficient in helping with he set up and were visible to approach. Also there was plenty of guidance to the off loading area by staff in the car park.

During the morning the wi-fi was intermittent, or even unobtainable, for card transactions. However this is not the fault of the SELWG show but is provided for feedback so the shows committee can pass this back to the venue providers.

The table were already set up for us. The table behind the stand was a help to store items while we traded but the gap between the front and back tables was rather narrow but while I did move the table forward I did not want to move too far forward into the public aisle as you never know how may people will be attending your stand or what Health & Safety rules you are impinging!

Usually the clearing up is centred on getting the traders out in an order based on distance to travel home, ie the farthest to travel go first, and you normally get advised where you are on the list and prompted to start packing. This year this did not seem to be present and priority appeared to be on packing the table and chairs away instead. We were not advised where we were on the list and there appeared to be fewer staff available to transport traders goods to the unloading bays.

However when I approached a member of the SELWG staff I found there was a list and he came over to my stand as all my goods were packed and ready to go. I had to go and fetch my vehicle as my wife did not know where it was parked but as I departed the staff member left my wife to load the trolley on her own, many items were very heavy. Unfortunately the chap concerned had biceps bigger than my thighs but only returned when all the smaller, lighter items where left to lift.

I can guess that the SELWG staff are under a lot of pressure to move traders and return the venue back to its previous tidy state it a very prompt manner. Also the climate in the venue can be hot and humid, which is not comfortable when you are doing a lot of lifting and carrying, so having the usual prompt help is most welcome. This year there seemed to be less staff available to help.

None of this is meant as a complaint and in no way detracts from the welcome and help you get or the massive organisation that must go into any such event. I just want to provide some feedback, not only to the organisers but also to people who attend the show as I for one was totally oblivious of all the background organisation when I innocently attended such shows as a customer.

I also welcome any comments about this post and will contact SELWG show organisers direct and am happy to amend this blog post if they so wish.


POST SCRIPT

As a result of this post I have recieved  a message from the SELWG organisers. I show it here in full to show the difficulties that organisers have when taking on the commitment of a show and that they are very proactive in answering comments, Well Done!
Thank you so much for attending the SELWG show this weekend.

As ever, we try our hardest to make the show as easy as we can for you, but obviously sometimes things don't always go to plan.  This year for example we were a few tables short and had issues with staff from Crystal Palace opening the doors.  We were also let down by the supplier of our trolleys, with only 12 being delivered not the 15 we asked for.  We are also actively trying to find an alternative venue, as we know that Crystal Palace isn't the best for anyone, and if the redevelopment plans are put in place then visitors will have a half mile walk from the car park to the venue.  Pressure to sort a new venue is possibly higher than it ever has been.

All that being said, the committee does feel that the show was a success this year overall.  However, its not what we think that counts - it is what you felt and in that vein, any feedback you can give us on the show would be appreciated.

If you could please complete the attached survey, I would really appreciate it.  Rest assured, the results are discussed by the SELWG committee and we do try and make changes based on them where possible.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/J3LYH7Q

Thanks,
Tim

Regards,
Tim | tim****************

No comments:

Post a Comment