Monday, January 1, 2024

Romans and Saxons Re enactment - Stonham Barns-24-25 June 2023

Hello There! Still busily clearing the backlog of photographs from 2023. It turned out to be a lucky year where I was able to visit a number of venues and shows, including Stonham barns on a few occasions.


On the above date there was a 'Celts, Romans, Saxons' display. This show was a continuation of the ACW and Napoleonic display that I blogged on here.


As I know little about this period of history I will let the photos do the talking, however the re enactors were very approachable, helpful and knowledgeable.







Although using padded and low speed arrows a demonstration of a 'small' Saxon shield wall was very informative and interesting.


Although re enactment, I also took the opportunity to photograph various shield designs.



This display had a very helpful attendee and was able to describe the military career of the Legion which was in the demonstration complete with military honours.



I have taken part in a number of games where a Roman camp was represented on the table. here was a recreation of an actual tent.



The re enactors also had a Roman 'Scorpion'


At one point a demonstration and potted history of the Roman troops, the different types, uniforms, arms and tactics were clearly explained to a close audience. This was particularly nice and although there were many members of the public present to listen it did feel very personal and well presented.











One thing I recalled was that the designs on the front of the shields were described as potentially metal badges or motifs, rivetted to the shield,  rather than just solely painted.



Going on to the Saxon camp, again the individuals were very approachable. I am tempted to say that a few wargamers that go to wargaming shows, to do demonstrations games could learn a lot. On saying that, I have the impression that this situation is slowly improving over the years.


A very informative show that was a pleasure to attend. I hope that in 2024 there are plenty of similar at the same venue.

1 comment:

  1. I found reenacting the FIW informative. A shame I don't game the period, but at least it gave me some inkling as to how the soldiers lived and fought.

    ReplyDelete