Friday, March 29, 2019

A New DVD for me! 'The Duellists'

Hello again. In line with the eclectic style of this blog I have a recommendation for any Napoleonic wargamer.

After a comment off the cuff with a wargaming colleague at my wargaming club I mentioned the above film. It occurred to me that I had not seen this film on the television for years, probably decades even. I remember as a young child seeing this film and it fuelled an already growing interest in military history which was living through constant loans from the local library.


Please excuse the poor picture as the reflective cover on this DVD box was a major challenge for my poor photography skills!

I took the opportunity to purchase this film on DVD and the first chance to watch it. For the first time in years I was able to just sit and watch this film without a tablefull of figures calling to me to paint them! I must have been looking forward to watching it?

Directed by Ridley Scott the film maintains a true 'Napoleonic' flavour. Wonderful uniforms and dramatic action, although I wish it had included a cavalry charge.

However the atmospheric scenes from the Retreat from Moscow makes up for this and you feel cold too!

Filled with accomplished British actors it also includes a number of metaphors for the period.

The last shot of a defeated and brooding Harvey Keitel looking over the French countryside wearing a bicorn hat in the style of Napoleon himself easily transferred to the 'great' man himself.

I can highly recommend this film to anyone interested in the Napoleonic wars with the caveat that the resulting interest in wargaming may seriously damage your wealth! 



No comments:

Post a Comment