Wednesday, June 26, 2019

ACW Project

Hello Again! I started to do a search on the internet and a few facebook pages looking for recommendations for a suitable set of rules for ACW skirmish.

I was expecting  people to point me in the direction of some old, simple sets of rules but instead had people suggesting 'Rebels and Patriots' and 'Sharp Practice'.

I wanted to avoid any rules which used card or dice activation. I have had some difficult experiences with such rules, such as Muskets & Tomahawks.

After further searching I came across a set of Western Skirmish rules in issues 25, 26, 27, 28, 30 of Miniature Wargames and then came across this:

Totally unexpected this was mentioned to me when around a friends. I had forgotten that Donald Featherstone had written a book on skirmish wargaming. It consists of a set of basic rules with 'extensions' for various periods of military history.

It has the concept that while military technology may have changed the concept of individuals fighting this close to each other has not. It has few morale rules determining that morale-wise if someone was going to run away they would already have done it than get this close!

I feel that some measure of morale is required somewhere because an individual can decide that he is on to a loser and find another appointment elsewhere while also preserving his life. However I do not feel that morale should not overwhelm the game but could decide the actions of some figures under certain circumstances to take some of the certainty out of the game.

Well the next step is to get reading, make some decisions and get it on paper. Constructive suggestions are more than welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment