Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Rocky Outcrop

Hello there! After rearranging part of my loft space I came across this piece of terrain which I had made for an early WW II game. It was an attempt to get away from playing games on a billiard table.


 This is a two part rocky outcrop made from Styrofoam and carved into different levels and a rock face added. There are a number of levels and paths to the top.



Here you can see some of the paths to the summit.




On the top is one of Ian Weekley's British pill boxes. Ian passed this on to me many years ago and I wanted to use this as it had been sitting in my building collection for over a decade. Although a British pill box I also had plans to use this for a 'Sealion' scenario.


Although not the best site for a pillbox I included the option to remove it as it is on a base an cover the space with foliage.








The rock face was carved using a sharp craft knife and cutting a series of first vertical cuts then after adding a pathways and a number of ledges a number of horizontal cuts the rock face had to be thoroughly covered in thin black paint then various shades of grey then white paint. After flocking it was complete.  







2 comments:

  1. Nice work! I remember those pill boxes. One used to stand on the sea wall at the foot of our road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were a generic design and Ian Weekley intended them to be as such. I think some of the pill boxes at California Cliffs along the coast here have now fell into the sea and tumbled off the cliff.

    ReplyDelete