Sunday, July 26, 2020

Construction: Airfix Scammell Tank Transporter

Hello There! Here is the next in the series of construction posts. I have a boxed model of this and another which has been made but not painted. I thought that I could use the one that had been made as a profile for the one I could make which would solve any problems that I may have making it and then I would have two transporters done.

After some scrabbling around looking for the missing wheels on the ready made model I then started on the boxed one.


The cab went together very easily, great considering it is a 40+ year old plastic cast! I then painted the interior with white enamel and then Vallejo 976 buff.

At the same time the driver was mounted on a piece of brass wire and painted.

The front axle was fitted next and as it was going to used as a wargaming model I packed the joint with milliput. I used a set square to ensure it looked right on the model to find later that I had fitted the axel the wrong way round, (ie back to front), so the locating holes for the steering beam could not be put in place  but it was also slightly out of alignment. Both can easily be dealt with. The model will be on a base, so a rock can be put under one tyre, making it look right, (I like to make the models interact with their surroundings so this will make it look like it is driving over a rock and will work well), and I can adjust the steering beam and just trim the locating studs.

No comments:

Post a Comment