Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Battle of the Civil War

 Hello  There! I have just finished reading 'Battle in the Civil War' It is written by Paddy Griffith and I found this in a second hand book shop. I was aware of the work of the author and being interested in the American Civil War I purchased it after a quick flick through.


I found it to hold a lot of relevant information which I have not seen elsewhere. It explains the basics of how armies function and engage each other. It goes into the problems that commanders from both sides experienced and how they tried to deal with them. This was a refreshing difference to the usual unit history or personal recollections but it also goes some way to expain the actions described in these other publications too.

It includes chapters covering Strategy of the Civil War, Commanders problems, Finding the Enemy, Manoeuvering, Transmitting Orders, Deployment, Generalship, Control in Battle, Pursuit, Artillery, Cavalry and the Fire Fight among others.

Each subject only has a double page spread on each of these and also has so me well detailed line drawings on every page.

Althogh reall y a 'Crash Course' in the American Civil War it was very useful, even for myself who has been reading about the period for years.

I would certainly recommend this to anyone who is interested in the period.


3 comments:

  1. A great wargaming resource Stephen and one of my favourite illustrated books on the Civil War. Peter Dennis of paper soldier fame did a great job on the drawings. Cheers Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of... I finally found the ACW book 'Six armies in Tennessee' about the Chickamauga and Chatanooga campaigns. It's a fascinating read, covering the campaigns in detail with plenty of ideas for 'what if...' games. I'll send it to you when I get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice book, and good “ACW digest”.

    Best wishes
    Jan

    ReplyDelete