Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Double O Scenics Static Grass Applicator

 Hello there! I was asked today about the static grass applicator I use. This method of scenic flock is very realistic and can be used for large areas or for figure bases.

After looking at the alternatives available from the model railway fraternity I chose this item from a small company called 'Double O Scenics', here

The company has a wide range of static grass in different colours and lengths. I feel the colours available are a bit more realistic than some others on the market as the mix of colours in each bag does not include 'rogue' colours, such as red, in a 'Summer Mix'!

In the past I have also used the static grass for figure bases by taking a small clump of a suitable colour amd rubbing it in the palm of my hand until it forms a clump of fibres which are paralell. Then level one end of the clump and place into a blog of PVA on the figure base.

This provides a varied density of foliage which looks more realistic.

I have also used various lengths of static grass to show shorter green grass with longer, 6mm long, yellowed grass. I do this by shaking the applicator over a layer of PVA laying longer static grass first then after removing the excess placing a layer of shorter, 2mm, green afterwards. Then leave this to dry.   

The applicator I use has had a repair on the connecting earth wire but this is after a massive amount of use. There is a guide included with the applicator which also shows you how to use in properly, without getting a small shock. Keep your fingers clear of the bowl which holds the grass before it spreads on the subject. 

I have found this product very useful and it can also be used for making tufts.

No comments:

Post a Comment