Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Steve Barber Models 28mm American Civil War Skirmish Figures

 Hello There! Among the many projects I have running similtaneously, (yes I know, just don't go there!), I bought some Union troops for the Horse and Musket period skirmish rules I have been working on

The rules are being cobbled together from a number of sources and are intended for a game I hope to play round a wargaming friends, when this coronavirus silliness is over and done.

I have some cavalry, for both sides based singularly, more suitable for skirmish gaming but I still required some infantry. While looking at the Steve Barber website I came across his ACW range and these figures fitted the bill perfectly!



The botton right hand figure is the only figure that came as a two piece casting but it was an easy and clean fit. I did use a brass wire as a pin just to be sure but with the pose of this figure it must have been impossible to do as a single casting.

The faces are full of character but are not over exagerrated, like Dixon or Redoubt. They are clean and with enough detail so it is easy to paint the faces by following the detail on the casting. You did not have to add painted feature which you have to do with some poor castings or older figures.

There is adequate creases on the jacket and trousers to shade the creases along the arms of the jacket and creases on the egs of the trousers. This detail is not a pronounced as a Perry figure but is still enough to assist you painting shading on them.

They are based on two pence pieces with a circle of magnabase below that. The grey stones are road chippings which the council uses to resurface roads. This has led to a number of bald' roads around where I live but this is a small sacrifice for decent basing material besides I do pay my Council Tax! No not really. When the road is resurfaced the layer of bitumen which is used to  stick these stones down does not 'catch all' the stones. As traffic uses the newly 'layered' road the loose stones get kicked to the side of the road near the kerb or across any entrances and exits to the road. You just pop along one day with a dustpan and brush. If the Police see you mdoing this they do detain you for a while as they obviously believe you are totally mad!

The stones are painted and dry brushed but they are very effective. The rest of the basing is simply flock and static grass with tufts.

There are more figures in the pipeline which will be appearing on here soon but I must really get on with the rules!

No comments:

Post a Comment