Thursday, November 5, 2020

Maverick Models

Hello There! Among the many projects I have been working on is a Spanish force in 28mm to refight the Battle of Medina de Rioseco.

One of the problems with this project is that the flags available for the Spanish Army of the Peninsuar War is limited. While there are a few suppliers that supply some flags, (Flags of War and GMB). The scope of units covered is small. Many cavalry units are not covered and many of the 'Provisional Militias' are not covered at all.

This situation is not helped by the fact that many of these flags have not survived from the Napoleonic Wars and we are reliant on many accounts to vague eye witness accounts which are often unclear or 'best guesses' which are hypothetical.  

After some searching on the internet I came across Maverick models who had a small list of examples but I saw a comment saying that if he did not have what I was looking for I should contact him.

The owner of Maverick Models, Stuart, was very helpful and kept in e mail contact often. I supplied sources and pictures for the flags I required and after a few weeks they flags arrived.


Here is the order and a copy, bottom right, of a similar item I obtained from another supplier. The flags were printed on a high quality paper and there was the option of what size I required and a choice of paper or cloth. Also if I wanted a 'plain' or a  'effect' print which has a 'ripple' effect on the finished print.

The units are the La Reina Dragoons, Guardias du Corps and Queens Carabiniers. These are not supplied anywhere that I could find. These are a print and not a photograph of an existing picture or illustration and include a surrounding fringe which I can cut into strips for realism. 

I was very impressed with the service and communication from Stuart and the prices were very reasonable. I also sent some extra money due to the amount of Stuart put in to this project.

Here is the flag fitted to the figure.







Apologies for the white background not covering by painting table. These are Eagle Miniatures Spanish Dragoons painted as the La Reina Regiment. These are also the figures which will be appearing in issue 111 in the painting 'Red and Yellow' feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment