Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Airfix French Foreign Legion Desert Fort


Hello There! I finished this model a while ago and it is up for sale! You may recognise it as the old Airfix kit which a friend found in his loft and passed it on to me to see what I could do with it!


I covered the model in Slaters Scenics embossed plasti card and filled in the walls to make them look a more believable thickness.


The figure is an SHQ WW II 20mm British Mediterranean Infantryman for scale. The Airfix figures tjhat went with this were always very small so a 20mm metal figure based on magnabase and a one pence piece may look a little large!



The arched stables on the original model was difficult to work with and maintain the look of the thicker walls. The thickness of the plastic walls on the model was very thin and I remember the small lugs on the ends of the walls were always breaking off! I decided to make some stable doors from plasticard again and give it a grey weathered look. 


The walls were covered in plaster and then cracked and worn to give a decrepit look. A slight airbrush also helped.



I had a missing door, so made a pair of new gates. These came from some strips of plasticard and grooved with a suede brush and then the sharp point of a craft knife. I added a cobble sheet to show a makeshift repair of the doorway.


The base edge was covered in sand and small stones, painted, washed and drybrushed. 
I was very impressed with the end result and it looked a lot more solid and sturdy than the original!

As I mentioned this is for sale and is £50 plus postage and Packing at cost. Sent recorded delivery and UK only. Please contact me through this blog or my facebook page at 

No comments:

Post a Comment