Monday, July 29, 2024

Capel Military Show 5/6/7-07/2024

Hello There! My partner and I visited the Capel Military show this year. Having never been to this show I did not know what to expect but the shows website promised a lot!


As an opening I have to say that the weather was awful with intermittent rain all day. I went on the Sunday, which I was told was worse than the Saturday.



There were various displays in the main arena, but my main interest is is WWII vehicles. The first display I saw was a demonstrations on how mud accumulates on small vehicles!








This vehicle represented a LRDG vehicle used during the later part of the desert war. I also felt it showed the possibilities of realistic stowage on any future models.



Something a little less suited to the muddy conditions was the Austin Tilly. Still a lovely vehicle and if I had a choice of a vehicle to own it would be one of these!




Here was another one I saw later in the day.


While looking around I saw this. Is it what I think it is? A bridge from a Churchill ARK?



These two noisy great monsters turned up after the initial demonstration of the day! I had a ride in a Chinook in the Falkland Islands and this seemed to sink into the mud as much today as it did then!










Talking of noise these two SPG then went round the arena sliding sideways and spinning around. Partly a reflecting of the surface mud and deliberate fun on the part of the drivers.


Made a model of a Warrior years ago! This is the first time I have actually seen one in the flesh.



We had a Saracen in my TA unit and it spent more time being repaired than actually working. I only ever saw it 'move' once in three years and it drove out the main gate and broke down again. 


There was also a Chieftan Tank doing circuits later as well.









These exhibitors are represent the Royal Naval Commandoes, who cleared beach defences. I realised I did not get any photos of the re enactors but their stand was very busy and it was not possible to get any decent, clear shots of the rest of their stand.



A GMC CCKW 2 1/2 ton 6 x 6 truck, or a deuce and a half looked a lot bigger than I thought it would, but it is an American design, so that is probably why!








It was a nice surprise to see a DUKW in very good condition as well. It was so long ago I built the Airfix model of this.




There were two wrecks on display which are starting restoration. This is, (will be?), a Lee/Grant.





And this will be a Matilda.


And talking of model kits I made when I was younger, they made this half track look so much like the Matchbox kit!






This M10 was putting on a display later in the day, in the main arena.


And another view of this US artillery tow, an M4.


Here are a number of photographs of my favourite, a Scammel Pioneer SV/2S recovery vehicle.














Although the signage was not very clear and a bit worn, this is a Canadian Otter armoured car.





I always like seeing a Bedford lorry. With the Airfix kit, metal versions by SHQ and further plastic versions by IBG modellers and gamers are spoilt for choice. This does not take into account the many 3D print versions available as well.










I finally managed to identify this vehicle. Its a CMP Chevrolet C-HUP, (Heavy Utility Person). I cannot attest to the colour scheme but it has started an interest in the CMP range of vehicles.





This Ford 8cwt 4 x 2 was in perfect condition on the outside and painted in desert scheme, where most of them would have been used.  







A Woodie! I made the SHQ version of this for General Koenigs staff car for my Bir Hacheim game.






A Chevrolet Field Artillery Tractor, (FAT), CAB 12, (type), 1941. I think this is the version that ESCI/Italieri did?








and finally another HUP cab version. I really must get some of these for the desert and NW Europe!


Lastly, on the way out, I noticed we had been walking over this!

Apart from the bad weather this was a great day out. We had to spend a night away to spread the driving, (getting up early in the morning and driving a distance is no longer easy and certainly not fun).

There was plenty to see but in a single day there was little chance to see the vehicles, displays in the arena and the re enactment camps, of which there were many.

Looking forward to next year!
 





1 comment:

  1. Looks like a great day out, mate. I do hope they restore that poor Tilly II to operating condition. Speaking of the other Tilly, my grandad drove an Austin Tilly as his work's vehicle in the late 60s.

    ReplyDelete