Saturday, May 9, 2020

'Watching War Films with my Dad'

Hello There! With the 'Lock down' continuing I have had time to take some photographs and here is a book I have completed recently.


Something a little different from the normal 'wargaming' book but I did promise a somewhat eclectic mix of posts on this blog. Al Murray has an interest in military history and as well as introducing the programme 'D Day to Berlin' he is also co presenter on the podcast 'WE have Ways of Making you Talk', here.


This memoir struck a chord with me as I remember clearly watching a black and white film on a Sunday afternoon with my Dad, who was in the Second World War, albeit under age, caught and sent home.

He said to me once, when I asked him his first job, he said 'shooting', I asked him if  he was a game keeper and he said, 'No son, Japanese' 

Having seen 'A Bridge too Far' yesterday I recorded it to stop my wife listening to me going through all the corrections and addendum from the Issue of the 'After the Battle' details. This made me think of this book again. Reading the inner leaf it says 'Have you ever watched a film with someone who, at the most dramatic scene, argues that the plane on screen hasn't been invented yet? Or that the tank rumbling towards the hero is the wrong tank altogether?' Yeah, that's me.

If you grew up with Airfix, Action Man, Where Eagles dare and The Battle of Britain then read this book!

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting! Yes, I do the same thing. The movie Hemmingway and Gellhorn was going great until, during the scenes where she and Ernie covered the SCW, Martha Gellhorn rolled up to the front door of a hotel aboard a JS-2 tank. (Head*desk)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book specifically mentions the German tanks in 'A Bridge too far' particularly relevant as I am watching that on TV now, recorded from yesterday.

      Delete