Friday, March 19, 2021

Metallic Paint

 Hello There! In an effort to find a metallic paint that provides a realistic finish and does not go 'claggy' as soon as the container is opened I have purchased some items from the Roberson Artists range of metallic paints.


I will admit that these are expensive, (a 30ml bottle is between £6.10 to £7.10 depending on colour). However this amount shouls last forever!

The consistency is midway between water and single cream. It is water based and can be thinned with water but this is not necessary from the bottle. Although not in a dropper bottle it can be transferred to you if required but I have had a bottle of this 'Classic Gold' for three years and it has been fine to use. It has started to thicken up but adding water returns it to it original consistency.

I have varnished my figures using a layer of aerosol gloss artists varnish and then two layers of matt varnish. With this finish I have still noticed this metallic paint shining through the varnish.

As it is waterbased there is no odour, (unlike Tamiya!), and does not seem to damage your paintbrushes.

Lastly I prefer to support my local art shop which is a small family rrun business and they also provide a lot of advise as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment